When the guidance staff is informed by a student or staff member of concerns regarding a student’s behaviors, comments, and/or recent mood the following procedure is followed:
- The counselor will meet with the informer to gather all reasons for concern. This could include conversations that they have had with the particular student, text messages, and/or photos they’ve received from them or viewed on the internet and/or social networking mediums.
- The counselor will meet with the student of concern individually to determine the severity, validity, and nature of the situation. During this conversation, the counselor informs the student that a phone call home needs to be made to inform their parents of the concerns that were raised. The student is present when the counselor calls the parents. If the parents are already aware of the situation and already have a plan in place to get the student assistance, then the student is dismissed back to class and the counselor follows up with them periodically as needed. If the student is found to be in a state of crisis and poses a potential risk to themselves or others, during that conversation with the parents they will be told that the student must be picked up immediately and an emergency evaluation must be completed before the student is allowed to return to school.
- The Director of Guidance and Assistant Principal of Student Services will be informed of the situation and outcome
Safe2Say Something is a youth violence prevention program run by the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. The program teaches youth and adults how to recognize warning signs and signals, especially within social media, from individuals who may be a threat to themselves or others and to “say something” BEFORE it is too late. With Safe2Say Something, it’s easy and confidential to report safety concerns to help prevent violence and tragedies. Follow these steps:
- Submit an anonymous tip report through the Safe2SaySomething system
- The crisis center reviews, assesses, and processes all submissions
- The crisis center sends all submissions to school administration and/or law enforcement for intervention
- If needed, the crisis center may contact the tipster anonymously through the app
Director of Guidance
484.975.6500 ext. 3041